Hyperacidity = Hephaestus
The power of Hephaestus the Greek God of Fire, inside our body is a very painful and agonising feeling we all might have gone through at least once in our lifetime. Sometimes acidity gets more ferocious turns in to hyperacidity.
Hyperacidity can be defined as the state of hypersecretion of gastric acid juices, which can be, manifested as severe pain during injection of food, difficulty in digestion of food, pain in stomach region and overall discomfort.
Let us talk about how to fight hyperactive acidity
- Minimize spices or condiments-
Refrain from all the species you know or like. The only spice that can help you can be turmeric but that also in very low amount.
- Drink plenty of fluids-Drink fluids like and keep yourself hydrated because a complication of hyperacidity is that prolonged acidity may lead to gastric ulcers. Adequate hydration helps to prevent from this. Water, milk, sugar juices are helpful. Avoid drinks with low pH contents such as grape juice, tomato juice, orange juice etc.
- Avoid carbonated beverages-
Carbonated beverages may cause irritation to the gastric mucosa (the lining of the stomach), it’s good to avoid it.
- Consult a Doctor-Unlike day-to-day acidity, do not try to cure it by yourself, as you will not be able to manage it by your own so do consult a doctor.
- Ayurveda-Ayurvedic medication and treatment has turned out to be more helpful in treatment of hyperacidity than other treatments and this I am saying from my personal experience.
Try to walk after each meals to aid in your digestion process, especially in cases of indigestion. Sleeping just after meals may aggravate the disorder.
- Soft Diet-
In case of severe acidity take soft diet at regular intervals, heavy eating may aggravate the acid production.
- Late night and early morning-
Drink cold soy milk in the night before sleep and early morning when usually there is a lot of pain as you were on fast during sleep drink a glass full of buttermilk. However, milk is slightly acidic but it has been found useful in case of hyperacidity.
- No tea, No Coffee-
Avoid tea and coffee to prevent gastric mucosa irritation and acid production.
- Herbal tea-
Even though tea is contraindicated herbal, teas are found to be helpful, but it should not be consumed when it is too hot.
Written by : Ashish Noel